With a home pool, you know that you must keep it clean. But if you truly want a healthy, relaxing and fun place to spend time with your family and friends, you will want to keep the entire pool area clean. Here is how to clean the pool deck and everything else around it.
Just cleaning the pool will not suffice; you need to clean the deck and everything else around it. Make sure the place becomes spotless by the time you finish the job.
For the cleaning job, you can hire extra hands or can do it yourself, knowing that it might take at least two days. If you have time, you may find yourself enjoying the work and have even more to look forward to when the pool is ready to go.
It is time to get to it, here are the steps to cleaning the pool area.
Table of Contents
- 1 Prerequisites For Cleaning The Pool Area
- 2 It’s Time To Clean The Pool Deck
- 3 How To Fix A Cracked Pool Deck
- 4 Conclusion: Enjoy A Clean Pool Area
Prerequisites For Cleaning The Pool Area
- REMOVE DEBRI ON THE DECK:
- The first thing you need to do is sweep the deck properly and pick up the leaves around it.
- Use a broom, or a leaf blower to do this work.
- Sweep up the small branches and leaves, and store them in a garbage bag.
- Once you have removed the leaves and debris, you can start with the main cleaning job.
It’s Time To Clean The Pool Deck
- PREPARE A DIY CLEANING SOLUTION:
- Gather the tools and materials you need for cleaning.
- Now you can prepare the cleaning mix.
- Mix eight parts of water, with one part of soap and bleach.
- Mix this well and splash some of it on the deck.
- BEGIN SCRUBBING:
- After you have splashed the cleaning mix on the deck, now it’s time to scrub the deck thoroughly.
- You need to scrub neatly up and down the space of the deck.
- To increase the effort, you can concentrate on one place first and then, go for the second one. This way you won’t have to return to the previous place and scrub.
- If you see that the cleaning mix isn’t doing better cleaning then you can add more water and soap to make it stronger.
- RINSE THE DECK:
- Once you have finished the deck, take up the hose and rinse the deck with water to clean the remnants of the solution.
- If some tougher stains aren’t removed, then you can scrub those spots again. If it still doesn’t work then leave it.
- USE TSP TREATMENT:
- Trisodium phosphate solution is harsher than the soap treatment, but it’s safe.
- You can purchase TSP from the market then follow the directions on the container and mix the TSP with Hot water.
- Spray the solution on the hard stain and scrub.
- Then wash the surface with water and repeat the scrubbing process if required.
- FINISH WITH A POWER WASH:
- If you have a power wash machine then it’s time to use it.
- You have already scrubbed the debris and stain from the deck now you have to release the power wash machine on it.
- The washer will give the finishing touch to your hard work.
- APPLY DECK SEALANT:
- Once the deck cleaning is over, you can apply deck sealant.
- This will protect the pool deck also it will stay in the cleaned position for a long time.
- CLEANING WOODEN POOL DECK:
- If you have a wooden deck, the procedure will be the same just as cleaning a concrete one.
- However, you need to limit the use of bleach on a wooden pool deck. This is because it can affect the color of the wood.
- Here you can depend on vigorous scrubbing and power washing afterward.
How To Fix A Cracked Pool Deck
If you have checked and there are some cracks on the deck, no need to be anxious, this is a normal thing.
After some time the pool deck can crack for various reasons, it can happen for the direct exposure to the sun and seasonal changes.
Most cracks do not do much damage and they are harmless, but when you fix those cracks the pool deck will look perfect.
However, if there are bigger cracks it can create hazards, like your shoes can get stuck on them, or you might trip over them. It will also store dirt, which will be a pain to clean.
Fortunately, patching up the deck is an easy process.
The Tools You Need To Fix The Cracks
- Trowel for smoothing the fixation
- Dry deck repair powder
- Liquid bonder
- Bucket and a garden hose.
Fixing The Cracks In The Pool Deck
- WASH THE DECK WITH A HOSE:
- wash the deck with the hose.
- Pay attention to the cleaning of dirt from the cracks.
- LET THE DECK DRY OUT PROPERLY
- CHECK FOR LOOSE PIECES OF CONCRETE:
- Remove and separate the loose pieces of concrete or the ones around the crack.
- You must have solid surfaces.
- FILL THE CRACK WITH THE LIQUID BONDER:
- Mix the repair powder with the liquid binder in a bucket
- Gradually pour the solution over the crack.
- You need to keep applying and rubbing the mixture over the crack until it comes to the surface level.
- Now use the trowel to smooth the cracked area.
- Clean the excess solution with a sponge.
- LOOK AROUND THE DECK FOR OTHER CRACKED AREAS:
- Repeat the process above for any other cracks you find on your pool deck.
- If the pool deck has larger cracks then you will probably have to make more solution.
Clean The Whole Pool Area Surrounding The Pool
Now after you have cleaned the pool deck and fixed the cracks, you need to clean everything else around it.
The things you have around the pool like the grill, furniture, the patio, and so on.
You can do this task on the same day or do it the next day. As your time allows, you can do these tasks in two days.
You can always hire a helping hand. However, nothing will give you satisfaction unless you do it all by yourself.
Here is a good check list to get your pool area looking sharp for the swimming season.
- START WITH SMALLER THINGS LIKE DEGREASING THE GRILL:
- You have to remove the flame shield and the grill grates at first.
- For this, you will need a strong cleaning solution. One of the best cleaning solutions you can use is to take warm water and mix it with soap and soda.
- If you have a flame shield then, start from the inside of it.
- After that rinse the place with water and wipe it with a dry cloth.
- If there are remnants of soap then, you can heat the grill for ten minutes to remove the stains.
- CLEAN THE PATIO FURNITURE:
- For this, you will need soapy water and a hose to rinse the furniture off. Scrub the furniture making sure to loosen all the debris stuck to it.
- Make sure to wipe the furniture with a soft cloth after the cleaning.
- After you have cleaned the furniture, let them dry naturally under the sun.
- CLEANING THE POOL SLIDE:
- If the pool slide is made of PVC, regular soapy water will do the work.
- If there are harder stains then, you can use TSP solution or a mix of lime and soda.
- You can also use chlorinated cleaners but make sure to avoid the chemical going into the water.
- REMOVE STAINS ON THE PATIO:
- Remove the furniture from the patio.
- Clean the leaves and debris from the patio.
- Mix the solution using two cups of distilled white vinegar, water, and one cup of baking soda.
- Splash the solution over the patio using a mop.
- Allow it to sit for thirty minutes
- Scrub the area with a bristle brush vigorously to clean the patio.
How To Clean The Lawn Around The Pool
- CLEAN THE FLOWER POTS AND FLOWER BEDS:
- You need to clean the fallen leaves, uproot the dead plants.
- Also clean the previous year’s mulch.
- STRAIGHTEN UP THE GARDEN AREA:
- Remove the leaves and branches and clean the pet messes around the pool deck.
- Make sure to do this task when the soil is dry, if it’s wet then, it can damage the grass.
- RE-SEED THE BARE AREAS:
- If the harsh weather, heavy pollution, and pet messes have left bare spots on the lawn, you will need to reseed the bare spots.
- Add a mixture of fertilizer, grass seed, and soil to the area.
- Make sure to water keeping the soil moist until the seeds sprout and turn into grass.
- PRUNE THE TREES, PERENNIALS, AND SHRUBS:
- Trim and snip the decoration grasses close to the ground, and cut the perennials at least four inches.
- Remove the dead twigs and branches and give them the desired shape.
- ORGANIZE THE GARAGE AND THE SHED:
- While you are cleaning the pool deck, you can clean the garage.
- Throw away the broken and old tools.
- Install shelves in the shed for gardening.
- Give away the holiday decorations that you don’t use anymore.
- Organize the spaces you have, and it will give you the best satisfaction.
- OPEN THE POOL:
- Once you have the pool cleaned, the deck and the whole pool area cleaned, it is time to open the pool for the swimming season.
- Now that the pool is open, enjoy your hard work and have some fun and relax around the pool area.
- Now that everything is clean, it should help keep you family and friends healthy, safe and happy.
Conclusion: Enjoy A Clean Pool Area
Cleaning the pool deck and everything else around it can be strenuous work, but the result will be satisfactory always. A clean pool deck will always give you the peace you need. Make sure to check this article to know about the proper ways of cleaning.