Welcome, thanks for reading our Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner Review. Some robot pool cleaners look a little smarter and classier than others and this can play a part when making a decision.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Would You Listen To Me?
- 2 A Quick Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner Review
- 3 The Best Features Of The Dolphin Sigma Robot
- 4 Pros & Cons of the Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 5 The Final Verdict Of The Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner Review (4.4/5)
- 6 Other Robotic Pool Cleaners Worth Considering
Why Would You Listen To Me?
Great question. First, my name is Wendy Owens and I have been around privately owned pools all of my life. My parents owned an in-ground pool, and my husband and I have owned both, above ground and in-ground pools.
We have been using robotic pool cleaners since we took over our pool cleaning chores in the mid to late 90’s, trying to save some time.
Let me tell you, they have really changed over the years. Getting better and more economical for everyone
Now, for the The Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner, which looks pretty slick, has clean lines, some nice textured brushes, and a streamlined shape.
It looks like it should cost a little more than average – which it does – and seems to have the specification to back that up. So, does this robot live up to expectations?
A Quick Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner Review
The short story here is that this is a robot with a mind of its own – but in a good way. It isn’t likely to go off course or rebel against cleaning, but it will figure out the right path and handle different surfaces with ease.
It will also do this within an effective 2.5-hour cycle with fine filtration and great suction for a nice finish.
Some features are a little temperamental and there are cheaper Dolphin robots out there, but the Dolphin Sigma is generally pretty effective and well-liked by owners.
The Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner Is A Smart Robot That Moves With Ease Without Rushing The Job.
Freedom Of Movement.
The best robot pool cleaners are those that can move freely of their own accord and handle the terrain ahead of them with ease. No pool surface should be that difficult or uneven.
But, there are a lot of cheap pool cleaning robots that can’t handle walls or stairs. That isn’t the case here as this clever device can do both thanks to the onboard gyroscope.
This and the smart scanner should allow it to cover the pool without getting confused by obstacles. On top of this, you get a long 60ft cable on a swivel.
This should allow the robot to travel across the pool with ease and not get tangled up.
A Long And Effective Clean:
You want a robot that is going to put the work in when you have an in-ground pool of this length. That is partly why the longer 2.5-hour cleaning cycle is such a good idea.
You know that the bot won’t give up partway or rush the job to be finished in time. There is the sense that this Sigma Dolphin takes pride in its work.
But, the process shouldn’t be that tough on it when it has those tough dual scrubbing brushes with a great texture. Overall, most users seem to be happy enough with the final results.
Minimal Cleaning Of The Robot:
The downside of an effective pool cleaner is always the amount of mess that you have to clean up afterward. It is great that this model has such powerful suction and takes in all that gunk and grime, but it can’t stay in the machine for too long.
Luckily, this system has a dual basket filter system with easy-to-access filtration devices and no annoying bags. This should make the cleaning process a breeze and pool cleaning even less of a chore.
The top-loading design isn’t uncommon with Dolphin products, but it is still nice to see it in use here.
The Best Features Of The Dolphin Sigma Robot
- Dual top-loading baskets with accessible features.
- The long 60ft cable with the anti-tangle swivel features.
- A smart gyroscope so it can deal with stairs.
- An indicator for when the basket is full.
- A choice of schedules to set up via the app.
- Remote spot cleaning as required.
- There is a large adjustable handle so you can lift it out of the water.
Some of these features don’t sound like much on their own, such as an indicator for the basket. But, it is worth noting that this is something you aren’t guaranteed to find in Dolphin robots.
It also makes a big difference if you are trying to save time and get the pool ready for the afternoon ahead. It is a similar deal with the swivel on the cord. You would notice it more if it wasn’t there.
Then there are all those extra features for a more effective clean. The length of the cleaning cycle is just the starting point here.
You can also create a schedule on the app for either two or three cleans per week, link the phone to the robot, and leave it to carry out its job regularly.
Furthermore, you can use that app to take control and do some spot cleaning, although this is a little hit and miss.
It is also worth noting that there is some nice attention to detail in the design of this product. The shape and placement of the brushes make a bigger difference than you might think.
The two rollers spin with ease to pick up dirt while the 4500gph suction catches the worst of the dirt with ease. The shape also means that it can handle the edges and corners when it is time to tackle the stairs.
This consideration for the efficiency of the product continues with the filtration system. There are both fine and ultra-fine filters in the box so you can get the result to need and handle the more minute pieces of dirt.
It would just be nice if they were more clearly labeled.
What This Dolphin Robot Pool Cleaner Doesn’t Have.
There are also some of the common issues with the app and programming, such as a lack of options with the schedule and no delay on the timer.
Also the robot does not always respond to the remote control. It can be hard to get it to go back over certain spots in the pool.
This robot will get stuck at times especially around drains.
Pros & Cons of the Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner
- The filtration system is effective and works as advertised. Most owners appreciate the impact of the filtration system, the suction, and the brushes and say that it can handle the majority of the surfaces.
- Easy to set up despite the manual. This model is pretty easy to use, the controls are self explanatory and very helpful. The manual could be better, but the device is easy to use to it really doesn’t matter.
- This is a more energy-efficient product. There are three ultra-energy-efficient triple 24v motors in this robot. This robot is cheaper to run than their previous Dolphin machines thanks to this feature. Any way to cut costs is appreciated when investing in a robot pool cleaner
- The remote control elements aren’t ideal.The remote control elements are a little temperamental. To be fair, this is likely with any robot pool cleaner that is a long way from a device and underwater.
- Still, this does make the spot cleaning feature a little unreliable. It is still worth a try if there is a stubborn area and you don’t want to get wet, but don’t expect miracles.
- It is also a good idea not to try this too close to a drain as the Sigma doesn’t handle those too well.
- This robot is heavier than others at 24.6lbs so much more difficult to lift. This robot is heavier than some of the other products in the line. This may be a signal of better quality, but it could also make it harder to lift out of the water. At least there is that large adjustable handle!
- It can get stuck sometimes, especially around drains.
The Final Verdict Of The Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner Review (4.4/5)
The final question here is whether it is worth paying out so much for this Dolphin Sigma or opting for a cheaper model.
The plus side here is that you do get some smart features and finer details that you don’t see on other Dolphin products. It is effective and smart without getting too complicated or prone to malfunctions.
At the same time, there isn’t much that is special and there are drawbacks with the mobile tech and weight.
Overall, this is still a great choice for those that want a more calculated clean on a regular cycle but still want something relatively user-friendly.